At first the words did not make sense when I started paying attention to politics in college. I always mixed up the terms Conservative and Liberal. Some swore I was a Conservative while others believed I was a Liberal. In truth, I could be either depending on the subject.
Regardless, watching the chaos that passes off as governance in politics, the definitions are bastardized thanks to a media more intent on shaping the issues versus reporting them.
In short, these are the real definitions of the terms and the differences are clear:
- in government action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all
- it is the duty of the government to alleviate social ills, protect civil liberties, individual and human rights
- the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need
- the role of the government is to solve problems
- in personal responsibility, limited government and a strong national defense
- in free markets, individual liberty and traditional American values
- the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals
- individuals should be empowered to solve problems
Just once I’d like to see a debate on the virtues of each philosophy based on the philosophical differences and why proponents feel their philosophy is the best medicine for the country.
Unfortunately, I do not believe that will ever happen because the toxic environment created by both factions. If I were to create a list of what your basic uninformed American believes about both parties it would probably look like this:
A Liberal Politician Believes
- It’s OK to consider all gun lovers extremist nuts because of a few lunatics but it’s not OK to consider all Muslims extremist nuts because of a few lunatics.
- It’s acceptable to paint conservatives as ignorant, knuckle dragging Neanderthals but not acceptable to have a team named the Redskins
- You defend the rights of illegal immigrants to get handouts without earning them but ignore veterans
- You want to create a jobs program for terrorists who hate us but can’t figure out how to put Americans to work
- The wealthy don’t pay their fair share while 50% of the population do not pay taxes
- We must secure the nation from conservative organizations getting tax-exempt status but not secure the nation’s borders
- A small business owner is greedy for wanting profits but a second or third generation welfare recipient is not greedy
- All white police officers have a secret desire to kill black men but reject the fact more black men are killed by other black men
- It’s unfair to an Atheist to have prayer in public places but not unfair to a religious observer to prevent prayer in public places
A Conservative Politician Believes
- It’s OK to be a pro-lifer but still believe in the death penalty
- Global warming is a hoax but Creationism is real
- It’s not right to have Liberal indoctrination in schools but does not protest religious indoctrination in church.
- Reducing taxes on corporations stimulates job growth but government programs to spur the economy are bailouts for Friends of Obama
- Most funding should go towards the military and no funding should go towards the EPA, Education, or welfare
- Going to war in the middle east to build a nation is a moral calling but Liberal thinking is Marxist and Socialist
- Guns are non-violent but people are violent
- Securing the borders from illegal immigrants is a moral imperative but the homeless are lazy bastards who need to pick themselves up from their bootstraps
- Freedom of speech is a sacred amendment but want to prevent people from watching pornography, burning the flag, or supporting Liberals.
If you have any of the above beliefs and they last for more than four hours seek immediate psychiatric help.
The differences between the actual philosophies are wonderful discussions. The stupidity that our society creates in the name of the philosophies will lead to our destruction.